I was looking into new features provided in SharePoint Server 2013 and found interesting feature called “Following” which comes under microblogging.
What is microblogging: Microblogging is a broadcast medium in the form of blogging. A microblog differs from a traditional blog in that its content is typically smaller in both actual and aggregate file size. Microblogs “allow users to exchange small elements of content such as short sentences, individual images, or video links”. These small messages are sometimes called microposts.
Let me give you brief on how we can use this in SharePoint Server 2013.
In SharePoint Server 2013 Preview, Following is a user-initiated action that indicates the user’s interest in a specific document, person, site, or tag. When users follow an item, new activities about that item appear in the users’ news feeds on their My Sites. Users view all their followed items from their My Sites.
NOTE : Before you configure “microblogging” make sure that you have configured My Sites in SharePoint Server 2013.
To configure “Following” settings for My Sites
- Verify that you have the following administrative credentials:
- To configure Following settings for the User Profile service application, you must be a member of the Farm Administrators group on the computer running the SharePoint Central Administration website or a service application administrator for the User Profile service application.
- In Central Administration, in the Application Management section, in the Service Applications group, click Manage service applications.
- In the list of service applications, select the User Profile service application.
- In the Operations group, click Manage. (In SP2010, “Manage Following” feature was not available. Please check your SP2010 Central Adminsitration)
- On the Manage Profile Service page, in the My Sites Settings section, click Manage Following.
- In the Maximum number of followed people box, type the maximum number of people that a user can follow from the user’s My Site.
- In the Maximum number of followed documents box, type the maximum number of documents that a user can follow from the user’s My Site.
- In the Maximum number of followed sites box, type the maximum number of sites that a user can follow from the user’s My Site.
- Click OK.
Keep visiting the blog. More things to come.